One year ago, we officially launched as Bike Friendly Richardson, taking inspiration and guidance from our friends over at Bike Friendly Oak Cliff. We were the first of many offshoots to a great idea – to promote the creation of better cycling facilities and improved infrastructure throughout DFW – with a focus on the average commuter, and those wanting to ride for transportation and pleasure over sport.
Our goal last year was to get organized, generate awareness to our group and build a following of like minded cyclists. It’s been slow, but we are starting to get a good following on Facebook and Twitter. The traffic on this site has increased significantly and we even managed to squeeze in a few rides.
We have more things planned for this year:
- Increasing awareness – to both BFR and cycling
- More ride events – inspired by other local events
- Bring in the voice of more Richardson cyclists - you’ll be reading posts from guest writers with different perspectives about riding in Richardson.
- Take a closer look at the great Richardson Bike Plan – to see if there is room for improvement – from a rider’s perspective.
- Discuss route options for safe rides around town – while highlighting some great, local destinations.
- Step up our efforts of bringing in more retail partners - giving folks more reasons to ride to their destinations.
- BFR swag – stay tuned.
Please tell your friends about our group. We’d love to see more of you riding around town this year.