December 17, 2014 • 7:07 am
When we started Bike Friendly Richardson, in December 2009, our original goal was to follow in the footsteps of Bike Friendly Oak Cliff. Although our core beliefs are still the same, over the last 5 years, our focus has evolved to better fit the needs of the cycling community in Richardson.
We are a group of bicycle advocates promoting the continued creation of better cycling facilities and improved infrastructure in Richardson. Our main focus is on education and increasing the ridership of those wanting to ride for transportation and pleasure over sport.
• Increase bicycle ridership
• Increase bicycle education
• Increase bicycle awareness
• Increase bicycle safety
Our concentration will always be with Richardson cycling, but we share our advocacy with all of our DFW neighbors.
We’ve accomplished many things over the years, but there are many more goals coming in 2015:
• Working with the City of Richardson to get Bike Friendly recognition from the League of American Bicyclists
• Working with the City of Richardson to get better bike parking and bike parking policy
• Working with the City of Richardson to get a safe passing ordinance passed
• Working with BikeDFW to bring more education courses to local riders
• We will strive to host and/or promote more social events and rides
Filed under: BFR Blog Stuff, BFR Misc, Bike Friendly, Anniversary, Birthday, Happy Birthday
December 1, 2010 • 6:00 am
One year ago, we officially launched as Bike Friendly Richardson, taking inspiration and guidance from our friends over at Bike Friendly Oak Cliff. We were the first of many offshoots to a great idea – to promote the creation of better cycling facilities and improved infrastructure throughout DFW – with a focus on the average commuter, and those wanting to ride for transportation and pleasure over sport.
Our goal last year was to get organized, generate awareness to our group and build a following of like minded cyclists. It’s been slow, but we are starting to get a good following on Facebook and Twitter. The traffic on this site has increased significantly and we even managed to squeeze in a few rides.
We have more things planned for this year:
– Increasing awareness – to both BFR and cycling
– More ride events – inspired by other local events
– Bring in the voice of more Richardson cyclists – you’ll be reading posts from guest writers with different perspectives about riding in Richardson.
– Take a closer look at the great Richardson Bike Plan – to see if there is room for improvement – from a rider’s perspective.
– Discuss route options for safe rides around town – while highlighting some great, local destinations.
– Step up our efforts of bringing in more retail partners – giving folks more reasons to ride to their destinations.
– BFR swag – stay tuned.
Please tell your friends about our group. We’d love to see more of you riding around town this year.
Filed under: BFR Blog Stuff, BFR Misc, Bike Friendly, Anniversary
September 17, 2010 • 7:53 am
If you happen to be in the north Dallas/Richardson area this week, pick up a copy of the Dallas Morning New’s NeighborsGo. BFR and Richardson cycling gets a mention on page 7. Click HERE to see the online version of the article.
Pictured in the article are Chris Curnutt with Biking In Dallas, me and BFR friend, Magnus Aronsson.
Filed under: BFR Blog Stuff, Bike Friendly, Bike Trails and Routes, DMN, In The News, NeighborsGo
January 1, 2010 • 7:58 am
December 24, 2009 • 7:57 am
We just wanted to take a moment to wish everybody a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Filed under: BFR Blog Stuff, Holiday Wishes
November 30, 2009 • 4:26 pm
Don’t miss another event.
WordPress has a nifty little tool for those of you who don’t come to the site very often, subscribe to the RSS feed OR do the Facebook/Twitter thing.
Now you can subscribe to BFR through your email. Just enter your address to the widget to the right to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
Filed under: BFR Blog Stuff, Email Subscriptions, Subscribe