Put A Market Here

Posted in City Stuff by dickdavid on July 17, 2010

As a follow up to our discussion about a need for more community friendly destinations in Richardson, I did a quick ride last weekend and scoped out a few places that I thought would make a great market. Here are just a couple.

Do you know a spot? Let us know where you would like a market or any other type of community gathering spot.

At The Corner Of Custer And Lockwood

Under the DART Red Line tracks - off Polk in downtown

1. Brandon said, on July 19, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I’d love to see the area on the northeast corner of Beltline and 75 converted into an open market area. Selfishly, I live pretty close to this intersection, but it’s also a central location for a large, diverse population. I’d love to ride my bike to a market and be introduced to fresh food from around the world.

2. Anya said, on July 20, 2010 at 5:41 am

Agreed with the above post. I live in Heights Park and the first photo is walking distance from my house. Downtown Richardson is in desperate need of revitalization. We need to make it more liveable and more pedestrian and bike friendly. We need something similar to a Bishop Arts District where it could be THE destination for Richardson residents. There is way too much abandoned commercial property in our city that could otherwise be put to great use.

3. Adam said, on July 20, 2010 at 7:08 am

I agree with the others that something in or near downtown would be best. I really wish that the City would invest in our downtown the way Plano has in theirs. Hopefully a market would spur other redevelopment!

4. Gabe said, on July 21, 2010 at 7:26 am

Hi guys,

New to the blog – found you through Bike-friendly Oakcliff and WalkableDFW (Patrick Kennedy).

I don’t know about putting the market directly between the train tracks – great spot except for the noise level when the train comes by. I guess I need to go stand under there and try to have a conversation.

Otherwise, yes: great spot. Local businesses close-by, lots of parking for the driving-inclined. I’m not sure how you could get there easily from a DART station (from Arapaho you could walk/bike down Greenville, but it’s not super pedi-friendly).

Things that the city could do to make downtown more attractive to developers interested in walkable suburban systems:

1. Traffic calming measures on Greenville and (especially) Beltline.

2. Higher parking minimums (1 car per X sqft (500? 1000?)instead of per 200-300sqft). This doesn’t mean developers can’t put in more parking spaces, only that they don’t have to.

3. Parking maximums. The flipside to #2 – developers are not allowed to put in more parking than X.

4. Develop single building mixed-used zoning code to make it easier to get permits for putting residential above retail on small scales.

5. Wider sidewalk or bike lane on Greenville (from Spring Valley to Beltline) to connect the new mixed-use development at Spring Valley Station to the downtown.

5. Gabe said, on July 21, 2010 at 7:35 am

Also,

I had an e-conversation with Kennedy (who does this sort of thinking professionally) who suggested a free rubber-tire trolley that looped around the Spring Valley development (Brickrow) and DT on Sherman, Beltline, Greenville, and Spring Valley.

6. Jason said, on July 21, 2010 at 9:48 am

I’m glad there is demand for a farmers market in our area. I agree with a downtown lacation. There is something about new development that attracts people like mosquitos. The development group handling Brick Row should repurpose land for the area right there. Having quick access to the rail, while not vital, defines new urbanism. A farmers market paired with unique entertainment options would do well at the Brick Row location.

7. […] We’re sorry to keep harping on the subject of a local market, but we feel that this and other great destinations throughout the city will help build a stronger bike community. Read more here and here. […]