Garland Neighborhood Guard Rails

Posted in BFR Misc, City Stuff by dickdavid on July 17, 2011
New Garland Neighborhood Guard Rail

New Garland Neighborhood Guard Rail

Living on the east side of Richardson, we find ourselves traveling into Garland quite a bit. Like with my neighborhood, the houses are older, middle-class homes that have been warn by the years, but still hold their own. The neighborhoods are quiet and feel quite safe.

What I find interesting is the difference in what each city puts into it’s infrastructure. Over the past couple of years, it appears that both cities had the goal of putting up structures to protect their neighborhood’s outside alleyways from the main thoroughfare traffic of Arapaho Road.

The city of Richardson built and updated beautiful, brick retaining walls that enhance the beauty of their aging neighborhoods. In contrast, Garland just recently put up an unattractive guard rail. Not to compare one city to the next – Garland is a nice town with nice people – but, it’s really nice knowing that the city that we’ve decided to settled in, is investing in maintaining street appeal and property value.

Yale Park Retaining Wall

Richardson Neighborhood Brick Wall

Edit: It’s occurred to me that in my efforts to praise Richardson, this post may have come off a little negative towards our neighbor Garland. That was not the intent. Although these guard rails are not best display of aesthetics, they are functional at keeping the neighborhoods safe. Also, in contrast to Richardson, Garland has had great success in reviving their downtown infrastructure. You can read a little about it here.

1. Howard Maher said, on July 17, 2011 at 11:29 am

I couldn’t agree with you more Richard… I often wonder if Garland doesn’t go out of it’s way to be so blue-collar… There are some nice neighborhoods there that age horribly because the streets aren’t maintained, sidewalks fixed, etc. As much as some of us may have gripes about Neighborhood Integrity in Richardson, I always point across Jupiter to show what happens when anything goes, and standards don’t seem to exist. Take for instance the sidewalk that is somewhat visible in your picture… it’s probably two foot wide, cracked all over, and has poles implanted in the middle of it… I’ve considered riding my bike to the Tom Thumb grocery store in Garland along Arapaho, but their crummy standards on sidewalks makes it difficult at best, and dangerous at worst… Nonetheless, maybe the guard-rails were their attempt to shield bike riders from cars… a new Garland-approach to ‘complete streets’….

2. Michael said, on July 17, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I have lived in the Camelot neighborhood since 1996 and have seen numerous instances of vehicles crashing into the fences along Arapaho Rd. People drive too fast along that stretch and lose control of their vehicles. Garland has also installed a speed limit sign with a flashing “Your Speed” sign to try to slow down drivers. Though the guard rails are not as attractive as the Richardson wall, I bet the homeowners appreciate the guard rails over having to worry about replacing their fences or worse,

• dickdavid said, on July 17, 2011 at 5:15 pm

True, anything is better than a car running into your yard. It just sucks that both communities had to resort to protective structures.

BTW, I love those flashing speed signs. They help keep me and others in check.

3. Kenneth Bradley said, on July 17, 2011 at 11:18 pm

The protective guard rail I see it as a safe place to secure my bike while visiting friends, An out of control car kills very easily this is a way to protect the families there

• dickdavid said, on July 20, 2011 at 11:42 am

Agreed. The intent of the post was not to discredit the functionality of the guard rails, but rather praise the aesthetics of another solution. Obviously, anything is better than full exposure to the traffic. I’m just sad that the traffic on Arapaho has gotten so bad that communities need this solution.

Perhaps a bike lane would calm down traffic along this road?

4. howardmaher said, on July 20, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I wonder how safe the guard rails really are, nonetheless… Sure, a car out of control could damage a fence, but isn’t very likely to kill someone in a back yard, say standing near their fence… What is now likely to happen is that the out of control car will hit the guardrail and bounce back into the street, sideways, probably to be run into by another car on the roadway… I’d rather have it hop the curb and damage someone’s nice fence than having it bounce back into traffic.

5. […] few weeks ago, I made an observation about the new guard rails, along Arapaho Road in Garland. Through not very attractive, it was […]