I Bike Richardson – Justin Husman

Posted in I Bike Richardson by dickdavid on August 1, 2011

It’s time for another installment of the I Bike Richardson series, where we put a face on Richardson cyclists. We’d like to introduce, Justin Husman. He took the time to answer a few questions about biking. Enjoy:

Name:
Justin Husman

Website:
seenonthetrain.blogspot.com

How long have you been riding?
I took up riding a folding bicycle to commute in 2007, and actually sold my car in 2009 and went carless for a while. About a year and a half ago I gave up the mixed commute in favor of riding my bike the entire way to work. I may be live in downtown Plano, but I spend a good part of my commute riding on Richardson’s incredible trails and lanes.

How often do you ride?
I commute at least 3 days a week from Plano to Forest and 75. I also ride longer rides on weekends.

What’s your favorite route?
The bike trail from Renner to Waterview is a great long climb, and when it connects to the bike lane it turns into a time trial – with proper stops at the stop signs, of course.

Why do you cycle?
At first, I cycled to be “Green”, then I cycled to get fit, now I cycle for everything.

What is your perspective on riding – in general or in Richardson?
Riding a bicycle gives you those moments of complete exhaustion that you rarely get otherwise, when you can really feel your human frailness – and toughness. Cycling also takes me back to those days when two wheels meant freedom, and I could explore as far as my engine took me, as long as I was home by dark. Cycling in Richardson means protected lanes and trails, which is awesome.

Tell us about your bikes.
I don’t want to put this in writing, but I have eight bikes in active duty right now; an electric bike, a 1968 Falcon San Remo converted to a fixed gear, 1973 Raleigh International, a 1974 Schwinn Suburban, a 1987 Schwinn High Sierra mountainbike, a 1992 Univega Ultraleggera, a 1995 or so GT Force that I commute on, and a 2009 Dahon Vitesse folder. My favorite in the Univega – it’s a 19 pound steel roadie with 1st gen Dura Ace STI shifters. It’s incredible.

We want to thank Justin, for sharing his perspective on Richardson cyling.

We’d also like to extend an invitation to any cyclist who lives and/or rides in Richardson to share their story as well. You can either answer the questions (above) or send in a story – along with some pics to bikefriendlyrichardson(at)gmail.com.

1. Ian said, on August 1, 2011 at 8:50 pm

One thing I’d like to ask Justin, dickdavid, and anybody really, is
    How do you deal with getting to work sweaty in this heat?

• dickdavid said, on August 1, 2011 at 10:56 pm

It’s not so bad for me in the morning. Plus, I fortunately have a job where I don’t need to be dressed too professionally. So, a few wet wipes and a lot of deodorant, and I’m good to go.

• Jenny R. said, on August 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I’m not currently as hard core as some of these guys, but I do a multi-modal commute. My house is close to a DART rail station and my work building is right next to another. So I ride from my house to the train station and take the train the rest of the way. This gives me a chance to cool off before getting to the office, and the short biking distance means I don’t get very sweaty, apart from my face.

Some people are lucky enough to have a shower at their workplace, and some change clothes and do a quick clean up with wipes. It also helps if you can arrange your route to use mostly residential streets, which usually have more trees and fewer cars, so they aren’t as hot as bigger streets.

2. […] I Bike Richardson – Justin Husman by dickdavid It’s time for another installment of the I Bike Richardson series, where we put a face on Richardson cyclists. We’d like to introduce, Justin Husman. He took the time to answer a few questions about biking. … […]

3. Justin Husman said, on August 2, 2011 at 3:51 pm

When I get in to the office, I don’t have a shower, but I let myself cool down for a bit after I arrive, then take a bit of a “top and tails” bath with baby wipes when I change into my work clothes. I then liberally douse myself with Axe (and the ladies, they do love me) and put fresh clothes on. No one complains about anything but the tip tap that my shoes make as I walk around the office during the day. Then again, I am the boss, so who is going to the the boss he stinks?

4. yoderman said, on August 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Riding to work is easier than you might think. Plan on an early start, don’t push too hard, slow down, enjoy the ride and the rest will follow. A fresh set of clothes and a washcloth can do wonders. The ride after work however, that is the more interesting part.

5. Bill Johnson said, on August 4, 2011 at 6:54 am

That was one of my “excuses” not to commute. When I finally gave up that excuse, I would sit a little looking at email, then go to the rest room and wipe down with baby wipes. I used “No-Rinse Shampoo” on my hair (Same thing they use at many hospitals, but you can buy it at REI, and on really hot days I’d use “No-Rinse Body Wash”. There were no complaints the year I did that, but then a Gym was built basically across the street, so now I walk over to the Gym and shower… but I am always willing to go back to the non-showering days. (I showered before my commute back then also)