Slow Down!

Posted in Advocacy, Bike Education, Rider Perspective by dickdavid on August 7, 2011

Slow Down!

A few weeks ago, I made an observation about the new guard rails, along Arapaho Road in Garland. Through not very attractive, it was agreed that their functionality was much more important than their aesthetics. The rails were built to serve as a safety barrier for the adjacent homes, from the speeding traffic. This morning, I made a discovery that illustrates the importance of that functionality.

If you look closely at the top left of this shot, you can see that new guard rail. Unfortunately for this sign, that guard rail falls a bit short. Also, even though I had no way of gauging their speed, those cars were speeding by as I took this shot.

1. howardmaher said, on August 7, 2011 at 11:01 am

My main concern was that they replaced one danger, cars jumping the curb and possibly hitting a fence, with another, potentially more deadly one, of cars bouncing off the guardrail and being thrown back into traffic.

At any rate the aesthetics score a minus.

2. Nancy McKinney said, on August 7, 2011 at 11:49 am

I read that heading as “Snow down” and I thought for a moment you had found some snow. I am disappointed.

3. yoderman said, on August 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm

It would be interesting to know if there was a recorded incident associated to this. I one saw the a sign on the down hill side of the street in Seattle on a hill, Seems a car had crossed 4 lanes, came around a curve and hit a bus sign, all while going up hill. This is one of those not so gentle reminders to be careful out there, both on your bike and in your car.

4. Barbara said, on August 16, 2011 at 7:02 pm

As a cycling resident of North Garland I am concerned by the speeds I observe and the lack of police presence on many of the Garland roads. The Garland roads I bike on cross over into Dallas, Plano and Richardson and it amazes me how drivers suddenly change their driving habits once they cross those boundaries. I have attempted to contact the City of Garland about becoming involved in biking advocacy programs…at their invitation during one of the 2011 Dallas Bike Plan open houses….but I receive no response. It’s telling to me that we don’t see a big colored disc on the right margin saying BIKE FRIENDLY GARLAND

• dickdavid said, on August 17, 2011 at 6:22 am

Sorry to hear about your troubles cycling in Garland. Looks like there is a great opportunity for somebody to start up a bike advocacy group there. Perhaps you would like to take up the challenge and launch a BFG?

• bergerandfries said, on August 19, 2011 at 9:44 am

As David said, the reason there are the big colored discs on the right is because someone pushed on city government and coalesced a group behind the colored disc to hammer on them for a response. Go to a city council meeting with a big button with “Bike Friendly Garland” on your chest, especially with some like minded residents, and you’ll get a response…