Trail Hazard Alert – Ice On Owens Trail

Posted in Bike Trails and Routes, Trail and Road Hazards by dickdavid on January 13, 2012

Owens Trail Ice

Ice On The Trail

BFR friend Mike Freiberger sent us a note warning us of some dangerous ice conditions on the Owens Trail just west of the bridge (GPS coordinates N32.985141,W-96.690661). Based on these coordinates, it’s the part of the trail between Lookout Park and Sherrill Park Golf Course. According to the city, the problem is a drainage issue. The Parks and Recreation Department is assessing how best to rectify the drainage problem. Very soon the problem will be corrected.

Until then, with these freezing days ahead of us, please be careful out there. Watch out for ice, not only on the Owens Trail, but anywhere water might be collected. If you see any hazards within the city parks or trail system, please let the city know.

© PrintableSigns.net

Tagged with:

1. bergerandfries said, on January 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

Thanks Richard, I was just glad I saw the ice before I got to it.

2. Ian said, on January 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm

When I’m out, I never know who to call. I actually called 911 last month when I found a brick wall collapsed onto and completely blocking the bike path at Renner and Alma (apparently assisted by a motor vehicle which had not stuck around).

How would I go about getting a contact list so that next time I can call the right department of the right city/county.

Do you have a contact for Richardson ?

• dickdavid said, on January 13, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Let me see if I can put one together. Until then, the parks department is your best bet for trail repair issues.

3. howardmaher said, on January 13, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Might also watch out that the stretches of trail thru the woods at Renner that are being worked on are not as advertised by the City… They are working on the section that they were supposed to work on after Feb 1st… I guess that no one is supervising the trail work from the City. I discovered this as I rode thru around 6:00 a.m. Thursday morning… I’m not sure why the City bothered to color-code their work intentions if no one was going to supervise this or have contractors that can’t follow directions.

4. […] Trail Hazard Alert – Ice On Owens Trail by dickdavid        Bike Friendly Richardson BFR friend Mike Freiberger sent us a note warning us of some dangerous ice conditions on the Owens Trail just west of the bridge (GPS coordinates N32.985141,W-96.690661). Based on these coordinates, it’s the part of the trail between Lookout Park and Sherrill Park Golf Course. According to the city, the problem is a drainage issue. … […]

5. bergerandfries said, on January 18, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Trail was dry today. Makes me wonder if the golf course isn’t causing the issue with irrigation?

6. Nick said, on January 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Ha. Took that section on my ass in late December. Its actually kind of fun sliding sideways when your all bulked up in winter clothes anyway. The bike didn’t like it so much though…

7. bergerandfries said, on February 21, 2012 at 9:21 am

This is oozing again… What a pain in the rear.