Cool Richardson Destinations – Whole Foods

Posted in Cool Richardson Destinations by dickdavid on August 4, 2011

One of the things that I always complain about is that there aren’t enough good destinations in Richardson. Compared to Dallas, with the Farmer’s Market, White Rock Lake, Lakewood, Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, Uptown, Oak Cliff and other great spots, Richardson just doesn’t seem as interesting. Sure, it’s a great place to ride, but I’d prefer to have a nice destination as well.

Well, I’ve decided to not give up so easily – but rather open my eyes more as I explore our city by bike. I’ll try to share some of these re-discoveries here.

This past weekend’s destination was the Richardson Whole Foods. Nestled on the southwest side of Richardson, off of Coit Road, I had to go completely across town to reach it. Not a problem, even riding a bike.

Whole Foods Richardson

In comparison to some of the newer, fancy Whole Foods stores that have popped up around the DFW Metroplex, our store seems a little old and outdated. Still, I really like the fact that it has personality and feels local. Although they might seem slightly more expensive than other chain grocery stores, their products are high quality – with a focus on wholesome, healthy living. Well worth it, if you care about what you put in your body.

I like the fact that they have a bike rack out front.

Whole Foods Bike Rack

Plus, if you take the time to explore the store, you can find some nice treasures at great prices. I managed to find a potato and egg burrito for breakfast that was cheap and extremely delicious.

Breakfast Goodness

Tagged with:

1. Bob Loftin said, on August 4, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Other good destinations: Afrah, Dells Hamburgers. Holy Frijoles.

2. Some said, on August 4, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Also you can refill your water bottles at Whole Foods.
    Paul

3. Jenny R said, on August 4, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Also Sprouts.

4. Michael said, on August 4, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Richardson Library (nice and cool inside nice fountain and benches on outside), Dell’s…definitely, Fuzzy’s Tacos, Spring Creek Nature area, Eisemann center.

5. dickdavid said, on August 5, 2011 at 5:11 am

All good destinations – some already on my list. Eastside is nice too – especially when they do things like farmer’s markets.

I’m also curious to check out places that I haven’t been. Little Asia, off of Greenville is one. I’ve also read that the new renovations at UTD are nice too.

BTW, if anybody else makes a discovery trip around town, I’d love for you to do a writeup about it. I’d be glad to post it.

6. Jenny R. said, on August 5, 2011 at 9:22 am

Afrah is awesome. I need to check out Del’s.
    China Town on Greenville is cool, I like to shop at the grocery store there for frozen dumplings, veggies, and food for my puffer fish. There are some good restaurants there too.

The former Albertsons shopping center on Plano Rd. and Beltline has Pho Bac and the Greek place, Yum Yum Cafe, which are both very good.

7. Bob Loftin said, on August 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

Also, Royal Sweets, across from Richardson Height Shopping Center: http://www.royalsweets.net/ and Pizza Villa.

8. Jenny R. said, on August 5, 2011 at 9:38 am

I wish there was a local independent coffee shop in Richardson.

• dickdavid said, on August 5, 2011 at 9:40 am

I completely AGREE!! A bike friendly one, too. I wouldn’t mind a nice pub too – like the Filmore in Plano.

• Jenny R. said, on August 5, 2011 at 9:49 am

Yes, totally agree on the pub. Have you (or anyone else on this thread) ever been to BAR on Main St.?

• dickdavid said, on August 5, 2011 at 9:52 am

Nope, but I haven’t heard anything good to get me in the door.

• Bill Chance said, on August 24, 2011 at 8:27 am

There aren’t any independant shops in the traditional vein (eg White Rock Coffee) but I like the Boba Tea shops – Boba Latte in downtown Richardson, for example has coffee too. In hot weather the boba iced teas and smoothies are fantastic.

9. Jenny R. said, on August 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm

So what you’re saying is, we need a combo coffee shop / pub /bike co-op…

10. […] my first posting of Cool Richardson Destinations, a few of you had commented with your favorite destinations – […]